Friday, June 15, 2012

There's so much more.

Instead of letting something eat away at me, I blog about it :)
Temporary fix.


I have this song on repeat (do listen!)
"I don't have to fear anything.
Because Your love makes it worth it all.
And I can so willingly lay everything down at Your feet,
Because Your love makes it worth it all.
Oh, do you dare,
Will you be bold as a lion,
And go, go look deep into the eyes of love?
Will you leave everything behind,
To look deep into the eyes of love?
Fire that can't be tamed,
Fire that won't be put in a box,
Fire that won't be contained,
Fire that won't be put out,
An all consuming fire!"




If I'm being honest, and I feel like I can..with the less than 13 of you who click my link :) then can I just ask.. what is vulnerability? Where does it spur from? What is present or not present from person to person who you can or cannot be vulnerable with? Is it really just a gut feeling or is there some kind of definite, equation to it? What does the Bible say about vulnerability? When is it okay or not okay? Why can it keep us from so many things? How can we NOT let it keep us from things?

VULNERABLE:
  1. Exposed to the possibility of being attacked or harmed, either physically or emotionally: "we were in a vulnerable position".
  2. capable of or susceptible to being wounded or hurt, as by weapon: a vulnerable part of the body.
  3. open to moral attack, criticism, temptation, etc.: an argument vulnerable to refutation; He is vulnerable to bribery.
  4. (of a place) open to assault; difficult to defend: a vulnerable bridge.

Sasha, why so many questions on vulnerability?
Because never in my entire life have I feared it so much and had it so present in my life. I absolutely hate it. Kind of making me crazy and I don't know how to respond to it. I've never not known how to respond. I always have sharp and normally quick responses to anything in life. I will be honest, I typically am not the kind to run away from things. I'm stubborn. I'm more of a turn my shoulder and walk away, wipe my hands clean, nobody gets hurt because I didn't allow myself to get too involved - too involved to be able to get hurt kind of person. Everyone goes home with just a little scrape, but no crazy battle wounds or scars. Why? Because I've learned that lesson, too involved, or just being vulnerable, and you can get burned. Don't they say, "First time shame one you, second, shame on me"? Welllllll, I think I take that very literally. Once burned is enough.
But that doesn't work if one wants to "live" outside of any kind of safe box keeping you from getting burned.
So, where do you draw the line between being able to live and not living in fear of hurt? I know there are so many factors to vulnerability that make this not an easy topic.

Biblical Reference:

Prov 29:11
A fool vents all his feelings, 
But a wise man holds them back. 


Proverbs 4:23Above all else, guard your heart,
    for everything you do flows from it.


Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 


Also, I read this quote: "Before we let anyone or anything into our heart, try the spirit by the spirit."

How does one go about "trying" another's spirit? Does that mean discovering if their walk/heart for the Lord is legitimate? Does that mean worshipping and studying with them? What does it mean to try one's spirit?
And WHAT IF their spirit in Christ in genuine? Then that's the green light to be vulnerable? 


And if you have read all the way down here, I will continue to ask..
But I, WE, have burned our saving God hundreds of times, have we not (even as Christians, covered by the blood, we have sinned against Him)? 
But doesn't He still pour His heart out for us? 
Isn't He still jealous for us? 
Doesn't He still desire for us to be in His presence, regardless of our past, present, and future strikes against Him?

Are we supposed to treat our relationships with that same mindset? That even with the risk or maybe the actual fact that we have been hurt, burned, or what have you, we continue to pursue that person relationally, platonically, whatever (given they pass the "try the spirit by the spirit")??

Okay, lots of thoughts on the table. 

comment. message. whatever your heart desires. 











1 comment:

  1. Hey old friend! Wow, those are some really good questions about vulnerability. And you make a powerful point at the end - we have burned God so many times, and yet He continues to give us grace under the sacrifice of Christ. Well said, Sasha. And, Jesus told Peter to forgive not 7 times - but 70 times 7. Taking that into consideration, you can continue to forgive people without giving them continued opportunities to keep hurting you.

    Here's an imaginary story: One day I meet a guy named Joe. We strike up a conversation and I learn that Joe is homeless. I decide to let him live with me. Joe is no longer homeless. Yay! :-) One day, Joe steals $20 from my wallet. I talk with him about it, he says that he is sorry, so I forgive him. I decide that its okay for him to keep living with me because he really needs help in his walk with God. I commit to pray for Joe earnestly and try to help him find a job. The next week, $50 turns up missing. He apologizes again and I forgive him, offering to help him anytime he needs food or clothing - just please don't steal from me. Two weeks later, I can't find my iPod. Joe probably took it, I think to myself. I need to talk with him soon, because this stealing thing needs to stop. The next day, I wake up and find that my car is gone. Joe is gone too. Epic fail.

    In the above scenario, I should have seen the warning signs and taken action to prevent Joe from continuing to hurt me. Even though I kept forgiving him, I kept giving him opportunities to hurt me, even when I did not see any signs that he cared about me as much as I cared about him.

    So, I think that vulnerability comes down to trust. And trust is earned and lost on a day-to-day basis. We are meant to live in community in the body of Christ, and if we are not vulnerable with anyone, its pretty much guaranteed that we are going to be lonely and sad. We just weren't made to be loners.

    As for your questions about vulnerability, I don't think that any of them have an easy formula for an answer. They are complex questions that must be dealt with on a relationship-by-relationship basis with much prayer for guidance from the Holy Spirit. That being said, one of my favorite books on relationships is focused on questions of vulnerability - Safe People by Dr. Henry Cloud. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete