Saturday, April 9, 2011

Education Endeavors

Let me tell you about yesterday...

I woke up earlier than I have in like 2 months. Before 6. Yikes. Get all teacher-y looking, inhale a blueberry bagel and head down to Blake High School. Gotta love 7AM traffic! Get there, park, sign in. 1.54 hours later, another USF ed student joins me. I'M STILL WAITING! Grr. We chat for a little bit, complain about our professor- because he's in the same section as I am, and we can. His name is Aaron. Finallyyyyy our contact comes and takes us to the classes we get to observe. Can I just say something? DUDE. that school is freaking awesome. I was like in memory lane jealousy..coolest school ever. Guess what I get to observe (...as usual) ? GEOMETRY! As an added bonus it's also FCAT week and they're prepping and reviewing. I'm sorry, but if a ninth or tenth grader doesn't know how to find area of a figure by now....something is quite, quite wrong. Then I went to lunch with the kid in my class, Aaron. A little odd driving around and eating with basically a stranger, but it was nice and we kept up a sweet convo. Mainly about his music frat and other random things. I told him he was not Southern and he disagreed. He's from Virginia, come on, I don't think that counts. Back at school and we head back to our observation rooms..I requested some upper level courses though. Got paired with THE sweetest lady teaching Pre calc and AP Stat. It was memory lane for sure. I felt like I was back in my old math classes, the teacher even knew my math teacher from Durant! The kids in these classes were chill too. Not the typically crazy rude kids in geometry one that either call their teacher MA or MIZ. NO no no no nO! Ohh my goodness, I will write up the first student who EVER calls me that so fast. So disrespectful. (Old school right? ;) )


Sash's Math Ed Observation Highlights:
1. Watching the school police officer and an AP run out the front office (during my 1.54ish hour wait). Only words I catch are, 3 students, male, just jumped the fence, headed in the direction of the river. lololololollolol. I hadn't even started my observation and it was gettin REAL interesting.

2. Throwing staplers? Really dude. Apparently this one tall kid had hit this other smaller kid (mind you, his height had no effect on the length of his shirt or shorts, they were both incredibly too large, but that's beyond the point). Anyways, he hit him in the forehead, jokingly I guess? I mean the whole class was real rowdy, but whatever. So short man gets 2 staplers off the teacher's desk and freaking chucks them at tall guy! Kicked out of class.

3. Finally I get out of these bogus underclassmen classes. Out of the 2 high schools I've been in, there has been zero respect for the teachers in these kinda classes. Always the teacher's fault though...they wanna be BFF with their kids instead of their leader. GR. Yeah so I leave and we're getting ready to go to lunch and some other faculty member flags us down and tells us we have to go into the cafeteria for a flash mob. Could this day get any more interesting?! Ahh it was pretty sweet. Only at an arts school though.

4. Doing the problems in a freshman algebra class faster and more correct than the teacher. AYE! Seriouslyyyyyy? :/

5. I got to sit in on an awesome AP STATS class. The teacher reminded me SOO much of my stats teacher. What did the class happen to be doing the day I sat in? M&M problem! YES. The teacher even gave me a calculator and a bag of m&m's and I was part of the data! :D I was so stoked. I couldn't remember how to solve for chi squared though. Merrrrh. Oh well.

6. Dress code does not exist. I saw way too much on Friday.

7. I was sworn to secrecy...but whatever. MTV is doing an episode of Made at Blake High School. I met the kid too! He's getting made into a singer.


I also met this kid at work later Friday night. DIE HARD gaga fan. Like insane. He has a Born This Way tattoo on his shoulder. He was absolutely adorable though. I really wanted to like talk to him more and honestly pray for him. I don't mean that in a "pray for him cause he loves gaga and so he's crazy", cause he's not. BUT sincerely, like I wanted to. I also met a ton of high schoolers form GA that were on a band trip. These two blonde girls I rang up had the sweetest little accents! I told them so and one of them said, I didn't even know I had one. HA! Tooo cute!


Segway into accents and potentially Ga.. I know like 2 people read this BUT! You know who you are! I have some prayer requests.
1. That God would continue to provide for the Philippines as He has been. I need to raise about 3000 by May 2 and also sublease my apartment BEFORE then. I can't pay for it anymore, like whatsoever. God will provide.
2. That I would be able to focus on prayerfully waiting for an answer about the fall. Right now, I'm not registering for classes. I'm praying about moving my residency (taking a year off and working in like NC or something, then registering for classes the following fall as an in state student). Crazy right? I'm really looking for an answer as to what, where and when.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment