Monday, January 17, 2011

Wait for it.

I don't know if I'll ever really learn anything in this life. I feel as if I know what I'm going to and have always known, and everything else is just irrelevant. Pretty contradictory for someone who wants to teach calculus some day. But honestly, what are we really learning? Is learning memorizing 14 formulas an hour before the exam? Or is learning knowing the meaning of any biology term thrown at you, all the elements in chemistry or even knowing every date with historical meaning under a given context? Is that really learning? Some might say learning is facing your first fear and conquering it- finishing the race with a sprained ankle, asking that girl to marry you, pushing through the last minute of your performance even though 5 minutes before you went on, a teammate walked off. Is that learning, or does it go even farther? Is learning when you hit life's first mountain. The time when it feels like a "quarter life" crisis. One could argue that you learn the most in those lessons- Endurance, motivation, patience, faith and trust, all in which build your "character". None of these are wrong perspectives of learning, but are they all that's there for us?

Learning, like our perspective of self, cannot mean anything apart from God.
That rock certainly will make a lot of ripples in the pond of life. If we are to be in Him, and He is with us always, does this not pertain to what knowledge we will gain? That He is to be the foundation of what we are putting in our brains and that He is to be near us when we are filling our brains with it? Whether man made knowledge of techno gadgets or literary criticism, or spirit filled devotions and commentary, it changes not. If we claim this life of devotion and dedication, why is it put on hold for 15 hours a week due to "in class" status. Or the ten hours at work, or the 3 hours studying, or the 2 hours watching the news and Housewives. I find ways to make the number one thing in my "about me" to be the last thing on my list in daily reality. WHY have we, why have I, isolated everything I do from the one who gave it all to me?! I short change my savior, is that how it works now?
No. no. NO.

Learning. It's in Him, it's by Him, it's through Him. I learn nothing without the infinite grace of my savior. By the grading scale at USF, sure, I've learned a lot (some classes more than others) but what have I gained? I learn most when I sit in the quiet of a devotion, but I don't. I learn most in the fellowship of humble believers, but I surpass the opportunity for social gain. I learn most in the ache of recurring trials, but I don't because I'm busy feeling sorry for myself or asking WHY; instead of thanking Him for my very breath and looking to the sky, the clouds, the birds, the things He created for ME to enjoy. I can't get over a human ache, but He gave me all this? I don't understand how He still loves me. But He does and He will. And that's enough alone for my mind to ever need to fathom. But He'll teach us more if we let Him.
Put on different eyes tomorrow. Try looking at that annoying bird out your window and realizing God made it just for your enjoyment. When life spills coffee on your shirt, just try to make a shape out of the stain and smile..I mean the stain isn't going anywhere. Let God teach you something.

No comments:

Post a Comment